HISTORICAL TIMELINE

1863 January 14, 1863
Originally called Bryant and Stratton National Business College, Bryant was founded as part of a national chain of private coeducational commercial colleges.
1878 July 1, 1878
Theodore Barrows Stowell purchased Bryant and Stratton and became Principal and Proprietor and remained so until 1916. During the 37 years Stowell owned Bryant it operated out of the 4th floor of the Hoppin Homestead building located at 283 Westminster Street in Providence, RI.
1907 Henry Loeb Jacobs acquires ownership of the Rhode Island Commercial School operating from the Butler Exchange building,  Westminster Street, Providence, Rhode Island
1916 Harry Loeb Jacobs buys the college and merges it with the Rhode Island Commercial School, granting bachelor of commercial science and bachelor of accounting degrees sanctioned by the Rhode Island State Legislature
1918 First bachelor degrees awarded
1925 Bryant moves from the Butler Exchange building (current site of the Bank of America building also know as the Industrial National Bank building) to the Gardner Building located at 40 Fountain Street, Providence.
1935 August 1, 1935
Bryant moves to the East Side of Providence and becomes Bryant College of Business Administration.
1949 January 2, 1949
Bryant becomes a nonprofit, governed by a board of trustees.
1963 January 26, 1963
Henry "Harry" Loeb Jacobs dies.  He had been president of Bryant from 1916-1961.
1963 January 29, 1963
Centennial flag raising ceremony signified the beginning of Bryant's 100th year celebration
1963 March 2, 1963
A Centennial Couples Dance, "Golden Soiree", was held in the college auditorium.
1963 March 5, 1963
Centennial speaker M. Jean Savelli, Consul General of France, spoke about "The Common Market."
1963 May 18, 1963
Centennial Homecoming dinner held at the Old Grist Mill, Seekonk, MA with dancing to the music of Tommy Masso's Orchestra in the Jolly Miller Swim Club ballroom adjacent to the Grist Mill.
1963 November 18, 1963
Convocation and Centennial Symposium. Rhode Island Congressman John E. Fogarty was the convocation speaker. The symposium theme was "The Status of Women in America" with speakers Esther Peterson, Marion Stephenson, Pauli Murray, Jessie Bernard and Wilma Soss.
1963 November 18, 1963
President John F. Kennedy sent Bryant a congratulatory telegram on the occasion of Bryant's Centennial convocation.
1963 December 13, 1963
The Centennial Ball was held at the Grist Mill Ballroom, Seekonk, MA. This was the final event of the year-long anniversary celebration.
1964 December 4, 1964
Bryant earns accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Bryant becomes a four-year school and offers a blend of business and liberal arts courses.
1967 October 24, 1967
Earl Tupper of Tupperware Corporation fame donated his 220 acre Smithfield estate to Bryant.
1967 The Bryant Faculty Federation was formed. This was the first collective bargaining unit at a four-year private institution of higher education.
1969 The new master of business administration degree program is introduced.
1969 August 18, 1969
Bryant sells its East Side campus to Brown University for $5,000,000 in preparation for the campus move to Smithfield, RI. The sale included 26 buildings and 10.9 acres of land.
1970 April 15, 1970
Bryant breaks ground on the 220-acre estate in Smithfield, Rhode Island donated by Earl Tupper, president of Tupperware Corporation.
1971 September 20, 1971
Classes begin at the new $17.5 million campus in Smithfield, Rhode Island.
1972 April 29, 1972
Smithfield Campus is dedicated.
1972 October 11, 1972
Bryant a women's symposium - Symposium for the Advancement of Women in Business 
1973 Bryant opens the Center for Management Development (now called the Executive Development Center), which offers adult students classes and certificate programs that provide a practical education to excel in business.
1974 September 10, 1974
Dedication of Jacobs Drive - the main entrance to Bryant's campus. Dedicated in tribute to the Jacobs family which included Henry "Harry" Loeb Jacobs and his son E. Gardner Jacobs, first and second presidents of Bryant.
1976 July 1976
The New England Patriots begin to use Bryant's campus for their summer training camp and did so until 2002.  In 2003, the NE Patriots moved their summer camp to new training facilities at Gillette Stadium.
1988 Bryant celebrates its 125th anniversary
1988 The Rhode Island Export Assistance Center opens on the Bryant campus to serve regional businesses that conduct or would like to begin to do business abroad.
1990 September 12, 1990
Bryant College of Business Administration becomes Bryant College.
1994 Bryant's business programs receive accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International.
1994 Spring 1994
The Bryant Indians become the Bryant Bulldogs
1996 September 21, 1996
Bryant celebrates 25 years in Smithfield with President Ronald K. Machtley's inauguration, the theme being " A Silver Anniversary ... A Golden Opportunity."
1996 September 21, 1996
A new Bryant logo is unveiled, "Expanding the World of Opportunity." The pillars holding up a globe represent strength and tradition, the globe - international diversity, the glistening streak of the spinning globe - decisive action.
1997 September 15, 1997
Bryant's first Women's Summit is held.
1998 September 1998
Bryant builds a stadium and plays football.
2001 Bryant launches The Campaign for Bryant, the institution's first comprehensive capital campaign.
2001 The Elizabeth and Malcom Chace Wellness and Athletic Center opens. The facility rivals state-of-the-art, private fitness centers.
2001 A new tradition is born - Homecoming weekend and Reunion are combined for the first time in Fall 2001.
2002 September, 2002
The George E. Bello Center for Information and Technology is the highlight of the physical transformation of Bryant's campus. Designed by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects, the Bello Center houses the Walter and Heidi Stepan Grand Hall, the Douglas and Judith Krupp Library, and the C.V. Starr Financial Markets Center.
2002 Bryant's Carnegie classification status changed from "Business Specialty School" to "Master's College and Universities I"
2003  U.S. News & World Report ranked Bryant in the Top 20 in its category in the Northeast region.
2004 August 25, 2004
Bryant College becomes Bryant University, with two colleges: the College of Business and the College of Arts and Sciences.
2004 The Campaign for Bryant successfully ends, raising more than $40 million for new facilities, programs, and scholarships.
2005 The U.S.-China Institute opens on campus to enhance academic and business programs with Chinese academic institutions and foster trade between U.S. companies and China.
2005 The Communications Complex in the Koffler Building provides students with a state-of-the-art digital multimedia studio.
2006 Bryant offers new undergraduate degrees in Sociology and Applied Economics. The Graduate School launches the new Bryant MBA program.
2006 The Confucius Institute, the first China-funded institute in Southern New England dedicated to the promotion of Chinese language and culture, opens. The joint project between Bryant University and the Office of Chinese Language Council International (Hanban) is managed by the U.S.-China Institute at Bryant University in collaboration with the China University of Geosciences at Wuhan.
2007 Bryant offers four additional degrees in the College of Arts and Sciences: Global Studies, History, Literary and Cultural Studies, and Politics and Law.
2007 October 18, 2007
Bryant announces that it has received and accepted an invitation to join the Northeast Conference (NEC), an 11-member Division I conference that sponsors championships in 21 sports for men and women.
2008 Bryant offers the Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Statistics and the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science.
2009 October 2, 2009
The Interfaith Center designed by Gwathmey Siegel & Associates Architects is dedicated.
2010 April 11-14, 2010
NEASC Visit
2010 October 8, 2010
The Ronald K. and Kati Machtley Interfaith Center is dedicated in honor of the Machtley's, recognizing their major contributions to Bryant during the past 14 years.
2012 September 2012
Bryant eligible for NCAA Division I Championships
2013 January 14, 2013
Bryant celebrates its sesquicentennial  (150th anniversary).
2015 January 2015
Physician Assisant (PA) program begins in newly constructed PA addition to the Unistructure.
2015 September 2015
Bryant welcomes its first entering class of 160 Chinese students at Bryant Zhuhai, located in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, China